- Faculty of Theology, Letters, History and Arts
- Department of Applied Foreign Languages
- Master’s degree programs
- Specialized Languages and Computer-Assisted Translation
Specialized Languages and Computer-Assisted Translation (SLCAT)
MISSION OF THE MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAM
SLCAT is an interdisciplinary master’s program addressed mainly to graduates with a degree in Applied Foreign Languages as well as in Language and Literature or other academic programs in the fundamental field of Humanities. It is also addressed to graduates holding a degree in International Relations, Journalism, or Engineering Studies that possess advanced technical and linguistic skills (a minimum B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages – CEFR). The training within the program in Specialized Languages and Computer-Assisted Translation is provided by teaching staff from the University of Pitesti (Faculty of Letters and the Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Computer Engineering). The program has professional vocation and an interdisciplinary character, both theoretical and practical, offering training tailored to meet the needs of the socioeconomic environment, but it also opens scientific research opportunities for the students and graduates.
Through its curricula, which comprises immersion courses as well as advanced knowledge and synthesis courses, the master’s program in Specialized Languages and Computer-Assisted Translation (SLCAT) aims to:
- develop high-level skills;
- offer professional education and training and contribute to professional integration
- create perspectives of personal development.
Through the specificity of its activities, the master’s program in Specialized Languages and Computer-Assisted Translation combines:
- the interdisciplinary didactic mission, as it conveys the knowledge necessary for specialization in the fields of specialized languages, translation and new technologies;
- the professional training mission, as it prepares the students to work with computer applications in linguistic data processing and analysis and specialized and multimedia translation;
- the scientific research mission, as it helps develop skills and abilities necessary for the approach of innovative themes in the field of language industries and their applications in the socioeconomic environment.
Interdisciplinarity is well built into the structure of this program of study, which is based on the acquisition of the new computer skills used for natural language processing as well as on the acquisition of skills used in the field of specialized and multimedia translation. These skills will be practised during the specialized training performed within the partnership agreements with the socioeconomic environment (institutions, bodies, small and medium-sized companies).
Specific objectives for professional training:
- acquiring advanced knowledge of professional and specialized languages (English and French);
- mastering multilingual language management tools;
- acquiring techniques and tools for computer applications in linguistic data processing and analysis;
- mastering computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools and translation memories;
- improving specialized and multimedia translation skills;
- training for lexicographic activities (creating specialized dictionaries);
- acquiring quality standards in the field of translation and specialized terminology.
The specific objectives of the master’s program in Specialized Languages and Computer-Assisted Translation lead to the acquisition of the following professional and transversal skills:
The graduates will be able to:
- C1. Conduct thematic and terminological research activities
- C2. Use computer tools for automatic natural language processing, database management, machine translation, and computer-assisted translation at an advanced level
- C3. Translate and draw up different types of specialized and multimedia texts
- C4. Manage professional translation projects
- C5. Acquire complementary skills related to the use of new technologies and adapt to their evolution in correlation with the professions in the language services industry.
- CT.1 Acquire interdisciplinary research skills, develop their innovative spirit and holistic thinking
- CT.2 Develop their sense of initiative, power of persuasion as well as their individual and group organizational skills
- CT.3 Evaluate correctly their own level of performance so as to establish their professional training needs and the potential research directions in agreement with their own aspirations for professional development (doctoral studies, advanced specialization in niche domains etc.).
The program prepares specialists for the following well-established qualifications in the Romanian and European area:
- specialized translator (tehnical, scientific, economic and legal translations);
- specialized multimedia translator: software localization, subtitling, creation of multilingual websites, website translation);
- documentalist ;
- technical editor for foreign language documents;
- editor- proofreader;
- superviser/ coordinator of translation projects;
- coordinator of terminological databases;
- linguistic engineer specialized in designing, building, exploiting and maintaining linguistic software;
- multilingual engineer, expert in translation technologies;
- linguist-computer technician specialized in multilingual applications;
- specialist in computer-assisted translation.
FILE-BASED ADMISSION more details
BIBLIOTECA UNIVERSITĂȚII DIN PITEȘTI
Special Issue "Future Internal Combustion Engines" as part of Vehicles (ISSN 2624-8921)"
Metodologie privind organizarea și desfășurarea activităților didactice în anul universitar 2020-2021, aprobată în ședința Senatului din data de 16.11.2020
Campanie de vaccinare COVID-19
Convocare Senat 29 martie 2021 - sedinta online
DECIZIA NR. 163 din 26.03.2021 cu privire la zilele libere acordate cu prilejul Sfintelor Sarbatori de Paste
PARTENERIAT ÎNTRE UNIVERSITATEA DIN PITEȘTI, S.C. CARIERĂ FEROVIARĂ și S.C. CLUB FEROVIAR
MĂSURI SPECIFICE PENTRU DERULAREA ACTIVITĂȚILOR ÎN UNIVERSITATEA DIN PITEȘTI ÎN ACTUALUL CONTEXT AL STĂRII DE ALERTĂ
INFORMATII ACTE STUDII